Not Solved e: Solved Re: Horrible fonts 11.10

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Thu Mar 15 15:45:46 UTC 2012

On 03/15/2012 04:25 PM, Mark Greenwood wrote:

> On 15 Mar 2012, at 14:20, Nigel Ridley wrote:

>>> You don't mention on what hardware you are having this problem - a desktop with XXXXX monitor
>>> (where XXXX is a CRT or an LCD, which make and at what resolution) or is on a laptop.
>>>
>>> You also don't mention what video you are using - nVidia or Radeon, on board the mobo or as a
>>> separate video card - and whether you have the *proper* driver installed or still using the
>>> default driver.
>>>
>>> Nor do you mention which fonts you are using. I mention this because there are fonts specially
>>> designed for printers and those designed for use for displaying text on monitors.
>>>
>>> The other thing, if you want to see decent fonts you do need to enable anti-aliasing with
>>> sub-pixel rendering -provided that you have the proper video driver installed and you monitor is
>>> capable of doing this.
>>>
>>> BC
>>>

>> It is on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with Intel onboard graphics. But non of that is really important as the fonts were wonderful before I changed the settings and now changing the settings back to the way they were still leaves the fonts not as they were.
>> The point of all this is: How does one get back the original settings that come with a default install after having played with the settings and messed them up?
>>
>> I shall create another user account and see if the fonts are clean - if they are then I shall try and find the config file and copy it over to my account.
>
> Nigel,
>
> It has occurred to me that I vaguely recall there is some kind of cacheing going on which complicates matters. I think what might help is to set your settings back as they were and change the font. Then log out, log back in, and change the font back to the original font without altering the other settings. I think that usually works for me.
>
> Mark

Nope. That didn't do it.
After I created a new account and logged into it the fonts were great but I couldn't find any
config file that contained anything to do with fonts.
Logging out and renaming .kde to .kdesomething_else from a tty then logging back into a fresh new
.kde also didn't help - the fonts were still not clean and sharp. So the config file is not in .kde.
My next try will be to make a backup of all my stuff and wipe my home folder of everything and
rebuild it back to what it was -- what a pain..... :-(

Nigel