Webcam - sound

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Mar 13 14:08:31 UTC 2012

On 14/03/12 00:23, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On 13/03/12 13:14, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> Well, I am not very knowledgeable about how sound works in Linux. My
>>> laptop made no mention of pulseaudio. When I was setting up the webcam
>>> for Skype I went to the audio section under options and found a list of
>>> possible inputs, stating that it was using Alsa. I chose the webcam from
>>> the list and it just worked.
>>>
>>> On my desktop, when trying to set up Skype sound, I found no such list
>>> so I had to use the methods shown in the video as mentioned earlier. So
>>> I found the sound set up for my laptop quickly and simply. For my
>>> desktop it took three days of research to get there.
>>>
>>> So, is it possible to use Alsa alone, without pulseaudio?
>> One of the first things I try and do is get rid of pulseaudio and just
>> use alsa. So, the answer is YES.
>>
>> However, for some reason only known to some, it suddenly became
>> impossible to delete pulseaudio on some distros :-( . In this/these
>> cases I simply ignore pulseaudio and just go with alsa.
>>

>>> Thanks for the info,
>> You're welcome.
>>
>> BC
>>
> I think I will go along with the 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it'
> system. It works so I will leave it alone. I will just repeat that on my
> desktop pulse appeared as the default sound system. On my laptop there
> was no sign of it (pulse that is) only Alsa was there. I have not messed
> around with anything re sound on either computer.
> Thanks for all the help.

"If it isn't broke then don't fix" is a sound (excuse the pun) policy.

But I have to comment about the difference between your laptop which is
running Mint and your desktop which I presume is running Kubuntu (I
presume because nowhere do you mention what you are using on the
desktop). Anyway, Mint is based on Ubuntu which the Mint people make
"adjustments" to and call it Mint. Which is most likely why you have
this difference with alsa/pulseaudio between the desktop and the laptop.

BC

--
The vulgar crowd always is taken by appearances, and the world consists chiefly of the vulgar.
                    Niccolo Machiavelli