5 years of support..!!??

Bruce Bales bbales at cox.net
Mon Mar 5 15:36:31 UTC 2012

On 03/05/2012 05:07 AM, Mark Greenwood wrote:

>> On Mar 5, 2012 2:33 AM, "James Cain" <james.cain.25 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:james.cain.25 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Leslie Anne Chatterton
>>     <lahc2007 at gmail.com <mailto:lahc2007 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         Hi Bruce,
>>
>>         Well I guess Kubuntu isn't for everyone and we need to hear
>>         experiences like yours to bring us back to reality. I think
>>         there are
>>         probably lots of Windows and Mac users who have had similarly
>>         frustrating experiences but don't want to speak up and appear
>>         like
>>         dummies. Linux will become mainstream only when it offers a
>>         "foolproof" edition that is unbreakable, as well as the
>>         tinkerer's
>>         versions that most of us now enjoy.
>>

>>     Good point in pointing out that we need brought back to reality
>>     now and again :)
>>     However, 3 key points here that we free software users
>>     occasionally need reminded of:
>>
>>         * Kubuntu is developed (99%) by volunteers. For those who
>>           rant and rave about how nothing works, if you can't donate
>>           to the KDE e.V., help the community, or at least report
>>           bugs (if not triage them), what gives you the right to
>>           complain at all?

A few years ago there was lots of talk about "Linux on the desktop,"
where the intention
was that everyone could use the open source Linux and be free from
Microsoft.  I write a
newsletter that goes to 165 former High School classmates.  All use
Windows or Macs
and I am certain that none could install and configure and be satisfied
using Kubuntu 10-4.
If it is unusable, should we complain?
bruce