5 years of support..!!??

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 00:26:16 UTC 2012

On 2 Mar 2012, at 00:16, Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> On 1 March 2012 23:27, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thank you Jonathan for the quick response. From this I assume that Kubuntu 12.04 will provide bug fixes for KDE 4.8 for 5 years. I do appreciate the effort involved in this,  but it still gives me some questions with reference to Canonical's recent announcement about "pulling the plug" on Kubuntu.
>
> Canonical has not announced any such thing.  I expect you are thinking
> of one of the misleading media articles.

OK :) Perhaps so.

>> As far as I'm concerned, KDE 4.8 is not finished
>
> Software is never finished.  We package the software KDE gives us, and
> as community members of KDE we fix that too.  Bugfixes are available
> in -updates, new versions in -backports as announced on kubuntu.org.
> If you have bugs or feature requests you should report those to KDE.

Understood, but you haven't really answered my question… I understand, software is never finished, trouble is there's a difference between "not finished" and "working OK". KDE 4.8 is not "working OK" for anyone I've installed it for. So if I install Kubuntu 12.04 for them and tell them they get 5 years support, does this include upgrades to KDE 4.9, 4.10 etc, or are they stuck with KDE 4.8 and a few bug fixes?…. suffice to say NONE of my clients (or me) have any faith that KDE will fix any of the serious bugs in 4.8 without a major release upgrade to about 4.12.

Mark.