How do I disable plymouth theme and show boot messages like old times?

Andrew d~_*b theunknownandrew at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 17:09:35 UTC 2012

Hello People,

I want to be able to view the boot messages when booting the my system using GRUB2
andrew at andrewsPavilion:~$ uname -a; lsb_release -d
Linux andrewsPavilion 3.2.0-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon May 21 16:52:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
andrew at andrewsPavilion:~$

So to do this I tried the below steps

Uninstalled all the plymouth themes from the system 'aptitude search plymouth-theme-' except this one : plymouth-theme-kubuntu-text
described as - ' This package contains the default kubuntu-text text theme used when no support for a graphical theme is found on your system.'

and so now my plymoth alternatives is configured to use
andrew at andrewsPavilion:~$ sudo update-alternatives --display text.plymouth
text.plymouth - auto mode
  link currently points to /lib/plymouth/themes/kubuntu-text/kubuntu-text.plymouth

But i still get the plymouth screen and not the dmesg output that I want
I have also tried editing the boot menuentry by removing the 'quite splash' options both before and after removing plymouth but still no luck

May be I am using the wrong keywords but I could not find a way when I searched the net.
Has anyone managed to do this?

-- &RU Chelladurai