[12.04]-After Update-Start Menu Missing Many Items???

Andrew d~_*b theunknownandrew at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 13:51:21 UTC 2012

On Wed 13 Jun 2012 4:07:55 PM Jesse Palser wrote:

> After I installed and updated Kubuntu in VM,
> many Start menu items are now missing???
>
> Update Manager, Package Manager, and Software Manager
> are no longer in the Start menu?

Rather than re-installing the entire desktop, I suggest these

We need to first check if the applications are present and simply not showing up on the Kicker
Do this by checking either of the menu items on the system

andrew at andrewsPavilion:~$ ls /etc/xdg/menus/
kde4-applications.menu  kde-information.menu
andrew at andrewsPavilion:~$

Else simply try invoking the missing applications using the executables (Either over a terminal or krunner if possible)

If you think that your config files are corrupt then try to recreate them by
- Logging off the session
- Login to a console
- Run the below command, it will show your kde config files, rename them each
	andrew at andrewsPavilion:~$ ls -a | grep -i kde
	.gtkrc-2.0-kde4
	.kde
	.kderc
	andrew at andrewsPavilion:~$
- Now login as usual in the KDE Workspace, this will re-create the desktop

Check if the Kicker is back to normal

-- &RU Chelladurai