How to get and install skype?

Paul Stear kubuntu at appjaws.plus.com
Sat Jun 9 10:35:51 UTC 2012

On Friday 08 Jun 2012 14:42:59 Nils Kassube wrote:
> Paul Stear wrote:
> > Oh dear!!!  It's just too much hassle microphone not working - what
> > is pulse audio anyway?  web cam not found.
>
> Pulse audio is a certain layer of the audio system. If things haven't
> changed, you could run the program pavucontrol (from the package with
> the same name). With this program you can enable your microphone.
>
> And for the web cam you could first check if the program cheese can see
> it. If that works, you may want to start Skype with the command
>
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
>
> from konsole on a 64bit system or with the command
>
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
>
> on a 32bit system.
>
> Please note: I haven't tried any of the commands above because I don't
> use skype. But from what I remember from helping a friend to run skype
> with a webcam with a previous version of Kubuntu, it should work.
>
> > Why can't things be simple plug and play and off you go.
>
> Please ask Microsoft, they are the owner of Skype. But to be fair, Skype
> wasn't working without problems before it was bought by Microsoft.
>

> Nils
Thanks for all the responses,
Cheese reports no device found, I have a Microsoft web-cam but I am not sure
what I need to do to get it working.
I have the web-cam working but still no sound. I can adjust the slider in
pavucontrol but nothing is recorded. If I do a test call the playback of my
message is blank.

What do I try next
thanks
Paul