A howto backup your software configuration. "installed-software".

Michael W. Holdeman mholdeman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 19:02:52 UTC 2012

On Jun 8, 2012 1:30 PM, "Clay Weber" <clay at claydoh.com> wrote:

> On Friday, June 08, 2012 06:49:41 PM Perry wrote:
>

> > Could be helpful, but what takes me the most time is to save mails,
agenda,
> > contacts, personal bar in FF, and configure the prefs in all those
programs.
> > Not sure there is an easy way exept cloning.
> >
> > Greetings             Perry
>
> Yes, that procedure just creates a list of installed software packages.
> If you want to back up your user-specific data, you just make a copy of
your
> home directory. This is also a reason many have a separate /home
partition, as
> when you reinstall your OS, your existing data is still there without
needing
> to copy anything back usually.   Basically it saves you the time needed to
> create the clone image. But one method isn't necessarily better than
another.

> --
> clay

I usually do a fresh install and format everything except /Home that is on
its own partition. Combination of that and crashplan in case something goes
awry and I have had very few issues over the last test or so of keeping up
with the newest versions..
Takes a little while to get all the additional software loaded so this
might be a real time saver for that process?

Mike