associate application to file

Perry pwhite at bluewin.ch
Fri Jun 8 16:34:44 UTC 2012

Le vendredi, 8 juin 2012 12.01:07 Clay Weber a écrit :
> On Friday, June 08, 2012 04:33:25 PM Perry wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is Kubuntu  Precise,
> >
> > Intro:
> > In Dolphin I can right-click on on a .jnlp file and this will display in
> > the open with: IcedTea Java Web Start (first among other apps)
> > and I can thus open the file.
> >
> > The problem:
> > When I right-click the file, rekonq tries vainly to open it (an
> > "infinity" of tabs without title are opened)
[snip]

> > Thanks		Perry
>
> Seems to be a bug in the implementation or in icedtea itself. I can easily
> run the jnlp file I found using the commandline
> $ javaws <filename>
>
> but it does not work from clicking or right-clicking on the file unless
> *Firefox is set as the default browser* .
I only use FF but nothing happens when I ask it (in preferences) to check that
it is the default browser, although I issued the command :
sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
and it now tells me that FF is the default browser.
> And even then I had to point FF
> to /usr/bin/javaws when it prompted its own "open-with" dialog.
I couldn't get to there,  *rekonc* still opens an infinity of tabs !
> Chrome/chromium just wants to re-download the file.
>
> Looking at the file association settings for jnlp in System Settings, the
> command entry seems to be correct. I don't quickly see a way to overcome
> this
Thanks anyway, I can live with this bug.

> --
> clay

BOFH excuse #47: Complete Transient Lockout