associate application to file

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Fri Jun 8 16:01:07 UTC 2012

On Friday, June 08, 2012 04:33:25 PM Perry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is Kubuntu  Precise,
>
> Intro:
> In Dolphin I can right-click on on a .jnlp file and this will display in the
> open with: IcedTea Java Web Start (first among other apps)
> and I can thus open the file.
>
> The problem:
> When I right-click the file, rekonq tries vainly to open it (an
> "infinity" of tabs without title are opened)
>
> More:
> In the properties window  IcedTea Java Web Start is on top.
> I googled to no avail.
> Is it a bug? Any hint?
>
> Thanks		Perry
Seems to be a bug in the implementation or in icedtea itself. I can easily run
the jnlp file I found using the commandline
$ javaws <filename>

but it does not work from clicking or right-clicking on the file unless
*Firefox is set as the default browser* .  And even then I had to point FF to
/usr/bin/javaws when it prompted its own "open-with" dialog.
Chrome/chromium just wants to re-download the file.

Looking at the file association settings for jnlp in System Settings, the
command entry seems to be correct. I don't quickly see a way to overcome this

--
clay