Erratic mouse behavior in 12.04

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 14:48:51 UTC 2012

Em sábado, 02 de junho de 2012, às 16:40:26, Basil Chupin escreveu:
> On 31/05/12 03:40, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
>
> [...........]
>
> > It's not that I'm ignoring your suggestion, it's just that it's not so
> > simple to test it. Right now, Xorg can't even see the nvidia GPU. It is
> > "disabled", so to speak (not exactly, is on and consuming power, but it's
> > invisible for the system). Only the Intel GPU is visible
>
> Forgive me if I am misunderstanding something here...... but whatever
> graphic device you want to use is controlled by what you set it to be in
> your BIOS.
>
> Are you saying that you have your BIOS set to use the Intel GPU on the
> motherboard?

No, unfortunately my BIOS does not have an option to set the GPU to be used. I
wish it had, it would be so much simpler to use the nvidia GPU...
As it is, the system always starts with the Intel GPU and the nvidia driver
decides when the nvidia GPU should be used and starts it automatically on the
fly. Well, the nvidia driver for windows, that is. Nvidia does not support
optimus on Linux and there's no supported way to switch to the nvidia GPU.
I've seen that there are some notebooks that do offer this option in their
BIOS, but there is a number of others that do not and unfortunately my system
falls in the second category.
It's worth mentioning that my system is not a notebook, it's a desktop. Why in
the world did Dell choose to use hybrid graphics in a desktop system is
something beyond my understanding. Hybrid graphics is great for notebooks,
where every watt saved counts to extend the battery autonomy. In a desktop,
it's just bad design.

[]'s
Marcelo