12.04 installer crashes at manual partitioning

Lutz Ostkamp lostkamp at uos.de
Sun Jul 29 18:08:16 UTC 2012

Am 29.07.2012 08:00, schrieb O. Sinclair:
> On 29/07/2012 03:42, Lutz Ostkamp wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to install Kubuntu 12.04 on my desktop. I have set up an
>> encrypted LVM with a root, swap, and separate home partition + an
>> unencrypted /boot, and I have manually formatted them.
>>
>> When I start the installer, I get to manual partitioning, where I want
>> to set mount points etc. When I set the settings for a partition in the
>> popup window and then click OK, the installer quits and I get back to
>> the live dekstop, without an error message. (like described here:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/base-installer/+bug/572622)
>>
>> This usually happens on the second partition I set up, the first works
>> fine. It is not tied to a specific partition, because I have tried
>> different orders.
>>
>> Workarounds described here did not work:
>>
>> Now, is this a known problem, and are there any workarounds? I remember
>> having the same problem when I installed 11.10 on my laptop, but I got
>> it to work after a few attempts there.
>>
>> Using the alternate CD is not really an option at the moment, because I
>> have wiped my PC, and I can't burn another CD (unless you can burn one
>> from the live system with only one CD drive?).
>>
>> Any help is appreciated!
>>
> I have experienced this several times on both 11.04 and 11.10. Thing is I don't exactly recall how I get around it... but I THINK that setting up the swap partition before /home / and the others does the trick. Can not test as this is my "production" computer. But eventually I have always managed to get by that bug/problem.
>
> Good luck
> Sinclair

Thanks everyone for your comments. I got around the problem now by using the alternate image on a USB stick. (I had some trouble getting my PC to boot from USB drives, that's why I didn't do it earlier.)

This thing with the swap that Sinclair suggested did not work. swap is usually detected automatically, so I didn't have to set it up.

cheers,
Lutz