Chrome Updated, Now Flash Won't Work In Firefox

Waleed Hamra kubuntu-users at whamra.com
Tue Jul 17 15:50:04 UTC 2012

On 7/17/2012 3:27 AM, A.D. Burrows wrote:
> On Monday, July 16, 2012 12:58:41 AM Dimitris Kardarakos wrote:
>
>> There are double entries for libflashplayer  library, in your plugin
>> list. Try to remove the second one from firefox menu. If in firefox
>> menu just one is shown, try removing it from the pluginreg.dat file.
>
> There was only one entry for a flash player in Firefox's Addons menu.
> I tried deleting the second entry from the pluginreg.dat file; no joy.
> I'd saved the file as pluginreg.dat.old first; I retrieved it and
> deleted the first entry, then saved as pluginreg.dat and tried again;
> no joy on playing apps, but loading pages with Flash movies no longer
> causes Ff to crash.
>
> Incidentally, that one video I found, (the advert), still plays in a
> diminished, YT-like window, although actual YT videos still only show
> up as black boxes.
>
> Dimitris, your patience through this ordeal has been an inspiration.
> Is there anything else to try?

well, i'm not dimitris, and i'm afraid i havent been following this
thread much, but i do have an advice that might be of use.
there's an add-on for linux firefox, called "flash aid" or "flashaid",
it's job is to help install flash on a computer, make it work in
firefox, and remove any conflicting *other* flash libraries it may find.
it also enables hardware acceleration for flash. i advice you to install
the addon, restart firefox, and go through its wizard, choose between
flash from ubuntu repo, or latest beta from adobe (more advisable, since
it's the last version to be made available anyway, adobe dicontinued
linux flash for non-chrome browsers) and of course, check the options to
enable acceleration and disable other conflicting libraries.
hope this helps.