Shutdown Problem

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jan 29 18:08:32 UTC 2012

On Sunday, January 29, 2012 01:02:38 PM Paul Stear did opine:

> Hi all,
> Since updating to kde 4.7.4 the shut-down procedure appears to complete
> but doesn’t actually turn off the machine, I am left with the
> shut-down progress dots and have to press the main computer off button
> to turn off the machine.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
>
> thanks
> Paul

It has been my observation that if the drive led is on, it will eventually
do the restart, but if the drive led is off, you may as well go ahead and
press the reset button.

But I do not believe this to be a kde problem either, as the hang here at
my place seems to be related to the last line printed on the screen, a
swapoff -f.

If you are not into swap at the time of the reboot, it's usually not a
problem.  If you are, then the drive led will be on as it cleans up the
swap and will probably reboot when that has been done.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Time washes clean
Love's wounds unseen.