sound with skype

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 14:07:16 UTC 2012

On 28/01/12 15:45, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> On 12/19/2011 03:12 AM, Mark Greenwood wrote:
>>
>> OK there are two possibilities that spring to mind, let's try the easy
>> one first
>>
>> First, start Skype and make sure the option 'Allow Skype to
>> automatically adjust my mixer levels' is NOT checked. This is very
>> important.
>>
>> Now, sometimes pulseaudio chooses the wrong input as the default input
>>
>> Open a terminal and type ''alsamixer'
>> Hit F4 to see the recording inputs
>> One of them will be chosen as the current capture input - it'll have
>> the word 'CAPTURE' in red underneath it.
>> In the mixer you use the left and right arrow keys to select a
>> control, up and down to change the levels, and space to select which
>> one is the current capture input.
>> Try changing the inputs and messing around with the levels and see if
>> you can get Skype or Audacity to record anything.
>>
>> If that fails, then you may need to go into Kmix, open the mixer, from
>> the menu choose 'Settings->Audio Setup' and then the 'Audio Hardware
>> Setup' Tab.
>> This couldn't be more confusing if they tried but you have to:
>> Choose the correct sound card (probably 'Internal Audio')
>> Choose a profile (Analogue Stereo Duplex)
>> Choose Sound Device: Recording-Internal Audio Analogue Stereo
>> Then you may be able to select different inputs from 'Connector' -
>> things like 'Internal Microphone' or 'Analogue Microphone'
>> You'll get a level meter when you do this. If you can see it moving
>> then try 'Apply'ing those settings and try Skype again
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> On 18 Dec 2011, at 18:51, Errol Sapir wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mark
>>> Here is the lspci -k result. Hope it helps you to understand what is
>>> going o.
>>> Errol
>>> 00:00.0 Memory controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 Memory Controller
>>> (rev a3)
>>> Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-K8N Ultra-9 Mainboard
>>> 00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 ISA Bridge (rev a3)
>>> Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-K8N Ultra-9 Mainboard
>>> 00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation CK804 SMBus (rev a2)
>>> Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-K8N Ultra-9 Mainboard
>>> Kernel driver in use: nForce2_smbus
>>> Kernel modules: i2c-nforce2
>>> 00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a2)
>>> Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-K8N Ultra-9 Mainboard
>>> Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd
>>> 00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a3)
>>> Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-K8N Ultra-9 Mainboard
>>> Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
>>> 00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev f2)
>>> Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-K8N Ultra-9 Mainboard
>>> Kernel driver in use: pata_amd
>>> Kernel modules: pata_amd
>>> 00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller
>>> (rev f3)
> [...]

My standard recommendation is to install Veromix widget to control
Pulseaudio - it is WAY better than KMix. In my opinion. To get KDE to
activate built-in mic instead of line-in can be strangely difficult.

But check System Settings - Multimedia - Phonon and the different tabs
there to make sure it is activated