kde 4.8 workspace problem

Paul Kaplan pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 28 13:01:16 UTC 2012

Upgrade an oneric machine to 4.8. Now the kde desktop is unusable. Login is OK, but I have the following problems (there may be more):

- Windows don't get redrawn or come to the front unless they are first minimized and then restored
- Keyboard input is delayed several minutes before appearing on screen, bot mouse moves normally
- Can't access the application launcher

I tried replacing ~/.kde, but with no improvement

Everything works fine if I launch in safemode.

Any thoughts on the root cause?

Is there an enumeration of what is inactivated in safemode so I can troubleshoot?

Thanks,
Paul