12.04 Daily Ok as a desktop?

Kaj Haulrich kaj at haulrich.net
Fri Jan 27 18:59:03 UTC 2012

On 01/27/2012 07:35 PM, Steve Riley wrote:
> On 2012-01-27 14:21:52 Girard Henri<girardhenri at free.fr>  wrote:
>> I use it from the beginning : I am very surprised how 12.04 is so good
>> up to now :)
>>
>> I installed daily livecd to avoid too much update.
>> thanks all ubuntu and open people who do such a good work :)
>>
>> regards
>> Henri

I have been running 12.04 for about one month now and a few bugs - like
Dolphin not opening USB-drives in 'split view' mode - have been fixed.
But then again, first thing I do after installing is to remove
everything KDE-PIM related stuff, like Kmail, Kontact, Korganizer etc..
in order to prevent the disaster called Akonadi/Nepomuk/Soprano. That
done, 12.04 is really enjoyable - and fast!

Be aware though, that updates are coming in like hailstorms every few
hours - including kernel upgrades. Sometimes they demand removal of a
whole slew of packages - including important ones - so be careful! - If
you just wait a few hours, everything is dandy again. But then again,
nobody force you to update once things are OK...

All in all, the best distro to date.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 12.04 ---------