Logitech Quickcam E 3500 no sound

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Fri Jan 27 11:14:40 UTC 2012

On 01/24/2012 07:26 PM, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I just bought a Logitech Quickcam E 3500 and installed cheese.
> The camera works fine but I can't get the included mic to work.
> I have tried Kmix > Sound and Video configuration > Video Recording > Recording
> The webcam is there and I can click on the Test button and see a video but no sound.
> I played around with different options under the various tabs (under Sound Card the webcam is
> there but when I click on it still no sound).
>
> Aren't these USB devices meant to just simply work?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Nigel

Since getting the webcam inbuilt microphone to work I now have another problem :-(
I have now removed the webcam (USB) but the KMix icon on the kicker bar doesn't adjust nor mute
the speakers. I tried all the configuration option in all the places I could find but still no
adjusting.
BUT, if I start a downloaded video using DragonPlayer I then get an extra option in the Kmix
mixer under the Playback Streams named 'dragonplayer: Playback Stream' and I can then adjust the
sound level and mute it.
If I play a YouTube video I then get, under the Playback Streams, one named 'ALSA plug-in
[plugin-container]: Alsa Playback' and again I can adjust sound levels and mute it.

Under System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon I have the laptops internal sound card selected for
everything and the 'test' button works - there is sound.

So how do I get the Kmix icon on the kicker bar to give me back my sound level control?

TIA,

Nigel