Difficult upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04

Bruce Bales bbales at cox.net
Thu Jan 26 01:39:52 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:53:09 pm Bruce Bales wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:26:56 pm Waleed Hamra wrote:
> > On 25/01/12 18:24, Bruce Bales wrote:
> > > I think I need a lot of help.  I recently upgraded from 8.04 to
10.04.
> > > With 8.04, I could put a panel up on the left side of my screen
and
> > > populate it with icons representing different programs I use
>
> frequently.
>
> > >  One-click selection.  I haven't found a way to put the panel
there.

> > > Is this possible in 10.04?
> > > bruce
> >
> > i believe so. try this:
> > right-click on an empty area of your plasma workspace (the
desktop),

> and
>
> > choose "unlock widgets". if you dont see this option and see
instead
> > "lock widgets", then they're already unlocked.
> > in that right-click menu, after unlocking widgets, choose "add
panel",
> > which should offer 2 options, choose "empty panel" from them.
> > you will see an empty bar appear on your screen. its location will
> > depend on your plasma settings. it might appear on top, or on
some

> side.
>
> > if that's not where you want the panel to be, look for the cashew
>
> button
>
> > on one side of the panel. click it. you should get a sort of hover
panel
> > over the normal panel. this hovering thing contains an icon called
> > "screen edge". click and hold the click over this button and move
the
> > panel to the side of the screen that you would like the panel to be
at.
> > release the mouse click when satisfied.
> > you can use the width button to adjust the panel's width as well.
> > once that is done, we move to the next part, adding icons to this
>
> panel.
>
> > right-click on the panel and click "add widgets". you should get the
> > list of widgets, look for one called "quicklaunch", it has a rocket
> > icon. again, click and hold the mouse click on it and drag it to your
> > new panel. release the mouse button. you should now have a
>
> launcher in
>
> > that panel. right-click on the launcher and modify its settings. the
> > most important setting is probably the row setting. uncheck the
> > automatic determining of row settings, and choose "1" from the
spin

> box,
>
> > and click ok. this makes the icons larger. now right-click on the
> > quicklauncher and choose "add launcher". add as many shortcuts
as

> you like!
>
> I got the panel up and got it placed and sized.  Unfortunately, I must
> leave for a while.  will populate it this afternoon.
>
> Thank you ever so much.
> bruce

It's not working.  When I look down the list of widget icons, I get to
"microblogging" and it locks up so I can't go further (to quicklauncher).
Actually, it locks up halfway through the word "microblogging."

After I  put the application launcher on the panel it disappears except
for a little square in the upper L/H corner and it looks like there are
several little semi-transparent panels overlapping.  When I click on it, I
get the panel (about 2.5 inches wide), but the panel doesn't contain the
icon for the application launcher program I put on it.  That icon stays in
the corner.  When I add another program, there is still only one icon, the
application launcher icon, on it.

Discouraging,
bruce