Difficult upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Jan 25 18:31:39 UTC 2012

Bruce Bales wrote:
> I think I need a lot of help.  I recently upgraded from 8.04 to
> 10.04.  With 8.04, I could put a panel up on the left side of my
> screen and populate it with icons representing different programs I
> use frequently.  One-click selection.  I haven't found a way to put
> the panel there.

If necessary, right-click on the desktop (or panel) and select "Unlock
Widgets". Right-click on the desktop and select "Add Panel". A small
panel should appear at the upper left corner. Left-click on that panel
and move the "Screen Edge" button to the side of the screen. Between the
vertical bar with the buttons "Screen Edge", "Width", etc. and the panel
at the side of the screen there are two sliders. Move the sliders to set
the panel hight. Finally click somewhere on the desktop and you should
have an empty panel on the side of the desktop. You can now move
application icons from the K-menu to the new panel. When done, you can
right-click on the desktop (or panel) and select "Lock Widgets".

Nils