Nepomuk performance

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 14:10:52 UTC 2012

On 18 Jan 2012, at 14:00, O. Sinclair wrote:

> On 18/01/12 15:38, Mark Greenwood wrote:
>> The reindexing old files problem still happens to me on 4.8 but I do think the performance is slightly better. Still not great though. That said, I have increased its allowed memory to 350MB, which is a crazy amount but nothing smaller made any difference.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> On 18 Jan 2012, at 09:43, Jörg von Frantzius wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> this isn't meant to be another bashing of Nepomuk + Strigi.
>>>
>>> I'm just wondering about its performance: right now I see a "nepomukindexer" process seemingly indexing a 1MB PDF file for minutes (where it should only be seconds). I already wondered why Nepomuk was still indexing this morning after having turned it on yesterday evening.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know what may be the reason, or what can be done about it? I already increased "Memory Usage" from 50MB RAM to 100MB in the "Desktop Search" / "Advanced Settings".
>>>
>>> Maybe there are different indexing backends to choose from, but I don't know where to configure this.
>>>

> interesting - I had mine at "only" 150 Mb. Put it up and am now testing 350 Mb to see what happens. Report will follow

I'll just add another observation to this conversation.

Apple have a similar system, called Spotlight, that does a similar job (in fact slightly less complex as it doesn't do tagging or rating of files). When I recently updated my Mac to OSX Lion, it was completely unusable for about 2 hours because spotlight was reindexing everything. So it's not just nepomuk that uses a lot of CPU when indexing, even the best in the industry can't stop that from happening. The difference with spotlight is that once it has done its initial index you never notice it again. With this in mind I firmly believe that if the nepomuk/strigi guys would only listen to the users and fix the continual reindexing bug, and the not-ignoring-removable-drives bug, we'd have something approaching a very useable and useful thing. I use spotlight all the time and can't remember how I managed without it.

Mark