Oneiric 64-bit and AMD/ATI proprietary drivers

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 15:48:29 UTC 2012

On 11 Jan 2012, at 14:43, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 9:17 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11/01/12 14:06, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!

>>> Yes, I have installed them.  I just installed these packages (using
>>> aptitude, should work with apt-get):
>>>
>>> fglrx-updates
>>> fglrx-updates-dev
>>>
>>> If you tried to install fglrx package from ATI (ie, manual install),
>>> you will have uninstall it first, and then cleanup the mess it leaves
>>> behind, basically, some broken symlinks... I had a problem with that,
>>> after I removed "manually installed" drivers, I was unable to install
>>> the official packages.
>>>
>>> Oh, don't forget to install (if not already installed):
>>> linux-headers-generic (or whatever linux-headers you need for your
>>> current kernel), remember, this *have to* be the headers for your
>>> running kernel, and about any linux-headers will satisfy fglrx-updates
>>> dependency, but you need the one corresponding to your kernel, or it
>>> will fail.
>>>
>>> I don't know on your system, but on mine, aptitude shows "duplicated"
>>> packages names, it looks like the "duplicated" is the 32 bits version,
>>> but I have had odd issues (like conflicts with *a lot* of packages
>>> when I try to install most of these), make sure to pick the correct
>>> one.
>>>
>>> Now, I have had bad experiences with so called "hybrid graphics", in
>>> my case a ION-based netbook... in the end, I had to disable "discrete"
>>> graphics and leave only Intel enabled (because otherwise the netbook
>>> would get too hot, and drain battery real fast).
>>>

>> Thanks, unfortunately exactly the same outcome:
>>
>> "PowerXpress error: Cannot stat'/usr/lib64/fglrx/switchlibGL': No such file
>> or directory"
>>
>> and for sure said "switchlibGL" is non-existent.
>
> Interesting enough, this exists on my system, but here:
>
> /usr/lib/fglrx/switchlibGL

And I think that's they key to the whole problem.

Up until recently, a 64-bit system has /usr/lib64 for 64-bit libs and /usr/lib for 32-bit libs. This was changed so that on an up-to-date 64 bit system, /usr/lib holds 64 bit libs and /usr/lib32 has 32 bit libs. There is no /usr/lib64 on a recent ubuntu system.

I don't understand why the fglrx driver is trying to install things in /usr/lib64 - it shouldn't be. However you might be able to make it install IF you don't already have a /usr/lib64 directory

sudo ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib64

then try the install again.

Mark