gui login problem
theuteck at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 18:14:47 UTC 2012
If it does then remove it again, but since removing it the first time
did not solve the problem I think it may have been something else
causing it. It's up to you if you feel like exploring what the cause
If you have lots of bookmarks in konqueror and passwords in kwallet,
then you can just copy the settings for them. Thoughs are the two
things that I usually backup since I can reproduce everything else in
a fresh KDE session.
On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Errol Sapir <errol at tzora.co.il> wrote:
> Won't it bring back the "bug" I had?
> On 06/01/2012 16:24, uteck wrote:
>> You can move the old .kde folder back in place and that should restore
>> all your old settings.
>> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Errol Sapir<errol at tzora.co.il> wrote:
>>> Hi Bruce, Mark, Uteck& Michael
>>> I tried your previous suggestions.
>>> Making a new KDE setup by removing the old one did nothing to change the
>>> situation. The xorg.0 log was so long I couldn't understand anything .
>>> ls commands showed me that I was the owner. So I decided to do the
>>> thing. I copied my home drive to an external disk, reformatted everything
>>> and now I can enter my Kubuntu with my gui name and password. All that
>>> remains now is to get everything back the way I want it.
>>> All this was done before seeing the new suggestions made in the letter
>>> Thank you for all the help you provided, even though I didn't solve my
>>> problem in a correct way, I learnt a lot.
>>> On 06/01/2012 02:02, Michael Hirsch wrote:
>>>> Looking at the X log file is a good idea. It sounds like it is trying
>>>> start KDE and something is failing. Since KDM starts up, your X should
>>>> When I've had this kind of problem I can often solve it by finding where
>>>> in the login sequence things are failing. So, I think things start with
>>>> /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsession and then to /etc/X11/Xsession. You can modify
>>>> programs to print log message to /tmp/mylog, then when logging in fails,
>>>> look at the log and see what was happening. Start tracing this sequence
>>>> until you find the problem.
>>>> It will probably be easier to debug the startx command than KDE as that
>>>> a lot simpler. Create a simple .Xsession that opens an xterm and see
>>> kubuntu-users mailing list
>>> kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
no .sig found
Please restart your browser.
More information about the kubuntu-users