gui login problem

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 00:02:15 UTC 2012

Looking at the X log file is a good idea.  It sounds like it is trying to
start KDE and something is failing.  Since KDM starts up, your X should be
working.

When I've had this kind of problem I can often solve it by finding where in
the login sequence things are failing.  So, I think things start with
/etc/kde4/kdm/Xsession and then to /etc/X11/Xsession.  You can modify these
programs to print log message to /tmp/mylog, then when logging in fails,
look at the log and see what was happening.  Start tracing this sequence
until you find the problem.

It will probably be easier to debug the startx command than KDE as that is
a lot simpler.  Create a simple .Xsession that opens an xterm and see what
happens.

Michael