gui login problem

Leslie Anne Chatterton lahc2007 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 17:23:32 UTC 2012

Hi Errol,

It could be a video driver issue. The kernel contains most drivers although
for optimum performance with a few cards (nvidia and ATI mainly) you do
need to locate their proprietary drivers.

Before you do a clean install try, from a live CD of any distro, renaming
the hidden .config directory in your home directory (that's "dot_config"
with no space between the "dot"[=period] and "config". It's hard to type on
this tablet!) If that works the system will create a new "clean" .config
directory.

Some programmes may lose their preferences but actual data - photos, music,
bookmarks, downloads etc will be safe and can be moved into the new
.config. Keep track of what you move and relogin after each directory is
moved. If the problem reappears remove the last one you added - it's the
problem.

Someone wise than I may be able to tell you exactly what causes the problem
but this should work.

Sent from my Motorola Xoom Android tablet