gui login problem

Errol Sapir errol at tzora.co.il
Tue Jan 3 14:09:44 UTC 2012

I cannot login with my name and password when the main login requst
comes up when booting. If I go to "repair mode" I can login to kubbuntu
when applying control-E. So the problem isn't one of an incorrect
username or password. I also created another user and tried to go in
that way, again no gui entry.
Thinking the problem could be solved by reinstalling (and as I have my
home on a different partition), I reinstalled and formatted my Kubuntu
root partition. After installing, the problem is still there.
My (limited) understanding is that the problem is with some definition
in the home partition. Is that possible and if so what?
My next step seems to be to boot with a live CD, copy my home to another
place (external disk or whatever) and the reinstall formatting
everything. Before I do that I'd to hear suggestions on how to solve
this without such a drastic step.
TIA
Errol