too much work for irq17

Bruce Bales bbales at cox.net
Tue Jan 3 00:37:22 UTC 2012

Hello, all.

I have been using kubuntu 8-04 for four years and it is running out of
support.  For over a year I have been trying to install a later
version, most recently, 10-4-3.  When I use the 'Try without
installing" feature within a few minutes I get a screen full
of  "serial I8250 too much work for irq17" and it locks up.

When I install, I see that same "too much work for IRQ17" but have
gotten it installed a few times.  But it won't run reliably, lovking
up with a black, blank screen within hours of startup.

The computer is a Dell 2400 series 2.4GHz desktop about six years old.

8-04 runs 24/7 for months on end with minimal problems.  I have
installed (or tried to install) newer versions in all three disks in
the box.

Does this symptom indicate a hardware problem?  What is IRQ17?  Is
there something special about Dell computers that makes them reject
Kubuntu?

Any help gladly accepted.
bruce