Netbook with Kubuntu 11.04: how best to tame an, uncontrollably jumping cursor? (Bas G. Roufs )

Brian Wootton bnw101 at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 23 17:45:52 UTC 2012

On 23/02/2012 13:59, kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> Ever since a few months I had troubles again with an uncontrollably jumping
> cursor: at my netbook Asus 1001 HA along with Kubuntu 11.04. I type quickly
> and blind. The cursor often suddenly jumped to another position unexpectedly,
> while typing.
> A few minutes ago, I took a look at: SYSTEM SETTINGS>  input devices>
> touchpad. There, I scrutinised the tabs "scrolling" and "tapping". In both
> tabs, I ended up in UNchecking or disabling every option I could handle in
> either way. Later today or tomorrow, I will tell whether this measure works
> effectively.
> My question for now is: can someone recommend me any other measure with a view
> to taming:-)  the jumping cursor? Any thoughts?
> Thanks for replying, respectfully yours,
> Bas.

A friend of mine had this problem on his netbook, we tried everything
but couldn't
cure it. We finally decided his netbook had a too sensitive touch pad
and parts of
his fingers/hands/wrists/clothing were touching it while he was typing.
  The only solution we could find was to plug in a USB mouse and disable
the
touchpad altogether. A bit of a pain to have  to carry a mouse as well
as a netbook
on his travels but it reduced the number of 'expletive/deleted's
considerably.
brian