Major problem with Oneiric 11.10 freezing

Alvin info at alvin.be
Tue Feb 14 09:06:48 UTC 2012

On 14/02/2012 7:43, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 14/02/12 17:03, Tom Bell wrote:
> [...]
>
> And what is that PID, called jdb2/sda1-8, which is taking up most of the
> cpu? It is owned by root. So what is root doing with this jdb2-thingie?

According to Wikipedia, jdb2 is a "generic block device journaling
layer". I suspect it's pretty normal to see a lot of 'jdb2' if there is
a lot of disk I/O. High disk I/O explains speed issues pretty well. It's
also why I asked about LVM with snapshots (and why I switched to FreeBSD
with ZFS when I need snapshots.)

Tom, can you post the output of 'mount'?

_Links_
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journaling_block_device
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/arch-handbook/driverbasics-block.html