Major problem with Oneiric 11.10 freezing

Tom Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Feb 13 07:33:04 UTC 2012

On 02/13/2012 12:12 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 13/02/12 15:49, Tom Bell wrote:
>> Most of the time when I start a program, Thunderbird, Firefox,
>> Dolphin, etc., it will delay anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes and even
>> then there is no guarantee that it will actually start.  I have 3
>> screen captures that illustrate the problem and I will upload them to
>> anyone who is interested.
>> Below is as much information as I could think to send.  If anyone
>> wants more information, please be specific.
>> Thank you!
>
> When you ask a question like this and have some screenshots to
> illustrate your problem, just like you have now, then post them to:
>
> picpaste.com
>
> and simply include the URL(s) pointing to the screenshots. This way
> you only upload them once and everybody has access them to see what
> you are talking about.
>
> BC

Thanks for the help!
The files have been uploaded:

	http://www.picpaste.com/snapshot3-SMzt9oc1.png
	http://www.picpaste.com/snapshot4-NvZOGk5m.png
	http://www.picpaste.com/snapshot5-0oDMMFaI.png
  <http://www.picpaste.com/snapshot5-0oDMMFaI.png>
One thing to note:  these screenshots are completely unretouched, no Photoshop!
You will note the max out of both the CPUs while "top" shows little simultaneous usage of the CPUs.
You will also notice that the network is not in use and that the memory, 8G, is little used.

Any suggestions as to what could be going on would be appreciated!!!
Thank you!

Tom