Canonical pulls the plug on Kubuntu

Waleed Hamra kubuntu-users at whamra.com
Tue Feb 7 18:33:37 UTC 2012

On 07/02/12 20:05, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>> I am sorry to say that I can't help but see a very nasty move from
>> Canonical here. The timing speaks for itself, after including Kubuntu as
>> a full citizen with a LTS release, Canonical "pulls the plug" few weeks
>> before it's actually out.
>
> The subject line here is misleading, "pulls the plug" isn't entirely
> right, it won't get the same resources but it can still continue with
> the same resouces canonical gives to other community flavours.
>
>> What happened for them to suddenly realize
>> they couldn't afford to keep one developer on Kubuntu ?
>
> It's rational business sense not to spend money on something that
> isn't making money.
>
>> In any case I am sticking with Kubuntu which is becoming better with
>> every release, and all my friends and family will be shifting from
>> Ubuntu to Kubuntu with the coming LTS release.
>
> Great :)
>
> Jonathan

so let's try and understand what this really means. kubuntu uses the
same repositories as ubuntu. it is mainly ubuntu with KDE instead of
GNOME. as i understand, Canonical was using some payed developer(s) to
work on the KDE portion of the system? if so, how many? and how
important is their work, compared to the many other community developers?
and in all cases, KDE is developed by KDE developers, the work done here
is modifying some stuff to be ubuntu-ish, and packaging... then again,
isnt some of that already done in debian before ubuntu, or is KDE a
special case, and gets imported from KDE directly, without going through
debian?
thanks in advance for any answers.

--
Waleed K. Hamra