disk check at boot up time

Leslie Anne Chatterton lahc2007 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 10:57:19 UTC 2012

Basil,

There is no "yes or no" answer possible.

In a perfect world it wouldn't matter. Unfortunately minor errors in
writing to disk will happen. Even though it's extremely rare, compared to
the billions of bytes written, even one altered bit can trash a whole file
or programme. Fortunately most errors can be corrected if caught quickly
before they can start a cascade of consequent errors. That is what fsck is
there to do.

Now you could probably go for years without getting caught by this kind of
disk corruption, but... wouldn't it be nice to have as much free and fast
"insurance" as the wit of clever programmers can devise?

I thought so. Now you have your answer.

Sent from my Motorola Xoom Android tablet