[quantal] no audio with k9copy

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Mon Dec 31 21:42:28 UTC 2012

"D. R. Evans" <doc.evans at gmail.com> wrote:

>D. R. Evans said the following at 12/28/2012 08:58 AM :
>

>> Anyway, this is pretty high on my priority list: it just turned out
>that it
>> wasn't the simple 15-minute exercise I expected it to be. I *will*
>add to this
>> thread when I've spent more time on the issue.
>>

>So here is the story.
>
>Two computers:
>  #1: 32-bit laptop
>  #2: 64-bit desktop
>Both machines running quantal.
>
>Before I started on this, both machines behaved exactly the same way:
>both
>could copy DVDs, but the audio was absent on the resultant copy. I
>tried
>everything I could think of to correct the problem; nothing worked.
>
>I then installed Basil's copy of K9Copy in the configuration directory
>for
>both machines. The only differences between his K9Copy and mine were in
>the
>[options] section:
>
>1. He had quickscan turned on; I had it turned off
>2. He had it set to keep temporary files; I had it set to delete them
>
>Obviously, neither of these suggests itself as a likely cause of the
>problem.
>In particular, the settings (*all* the settings) pertaining to audio
>were
>identical in the configuration files.
>
>After installing his K9Copy configuration:
>
>#1: The first invocation of k9copy crashed as soon as it started the
>copy.
>We've all heard the definition of insanity that suggests that one
>shouldn't
>repeat an action and expect a different result... but I repeated the
>attempt
>to run k9copy (immediately, with no reboot or logout/login), and now
>the
>laptop created a copy WITH AUDIO. Yay! So I moved to computer #2.
>
>#2: The first invocation of k9copy crashed as soon as it started the
>copy. But
>so did the second, and the third. So I restored my original K9Copy
>expecting
>that at least the crashes would cease. They didn't. I rebooted. k9copy
>still
>crashed. I uninstalled k9copy, removed my K9Copy, and reinstalled
>k9copy. It
>still crashed as soon as it started the copy. To date, I have found no
>way to
>stop it crashing on this machine.
>
>Back to machine #1, to make sure it still works:
>
>#1: On the first invocation, k9copy crashed. On the second it worked,
>and the
>resultant copy had audio.
>
>So that's the current situation: I can make copies on one machine,
>sometimes.
>
>As is so frequently the case, I'm glad I had the foresight to keep one
>machine
> [...]

Have you tried deleting the config file, to regenerate a stock file to get you back to where you started?

Uninstalling and reinstalling usually makes zero difference in curing freezes or crashes. Depending on how you received the config file, it might not be owned by you, permissions wise.

Have you run k9copy from a terminal to get some info on what is happening when it crashes?

I am of the mind that there is a missing audio encoder, such as Lame (used to encode mp3, for example) or ffmpeg, but I do not have a DVD to try ripping to investigate. Have you tried another program such as handbrake?
--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail.