How to transfer kmail2 messages to Thunderbird?

Paul paul at appjaws.plus.com
Sun Dec 30 17:00:27 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I am fed up with kmail taking so long to do things and hogging the
system.  I thought I would try Thunderbird, I installed it and set up
accounts but I can not find my old mail which I need.
Where is kmail2 mail stored and can it be exported?
How can Thunderbird import the old messages?
Is Thunderbird a good choice or would another program be more suitable
as a kmail replacement?

Why is everything so complicated, after all I just want to receive pop2
email and save the history.

Please help a frustrated user.
Thanks
Paul