Kubuntu 10.04 cannot configure to wired net.

Uwe Brauer oub at mat.ucm.es
Mon Dec 17 22:08:19 UTC 2012

Hello

This is a very bizarre problem. After the installation of
Kubuntu 10.04 the wired card is
recognised. Ifconfig  shows it as eth0

However when I try to configure it with the graphical tool,
the networkmanager I presume, it seems not to work. In the interface

    -  I am not sure what to chose for "restrict to
       interface" and MTU

    -  I have a static connection with a fixed IP, so I fill
       in
       IP
       Subnet Mask
       Gateway
       DNS servers
       and connect, also the symbol shows that the
       connection is established I cannot connect, the
       browswer refuses to connect.
       Ping say http://www.nytimes.com/
       does not return anything.

       So I have plugged in a USB wireless modem, which is
       recognised I then connect to a wireless net  I have
       access to, I install *trinity KDE3* using their
       networkmanager and then  I have a working connection.

This is absurd.

What is the problem?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer