Upgrading 12.10 to 13.04 Alpha 1

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 22:32:48 UTC 2012

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 05:18:02 PM Bruce Marshall wrote:
> Were your mail searches working before the upgrade?
>
> Searches don't work here on 12.10 and I miss the ability.

Erratically. And they hogged so much CPU I never used them.

In 4.8/4.9 I think problems with the quality of the data in the search index
was the problem with searches, which was why deleting the akonadi cache and
letting it reindex was a common solution.

I can't remember if it was in 4.9, but in  4.10 in individual folder
properties there is a maintanance tab with a "Force reindexing" option. When I
was testing "Search for unread" status I had a few messages obviously indexed
with the wrong status. I forced a reindex and it.

a. Worked

b. CPU usage did rise, but only to 30% of a core

c. Completed very quickly

I have 12,000+ msgs in my inbox, it only took a minute.

However the folder properties dialog is *very* slow to appear, I suspect its
querying  my imap server first. Maybe it would be quicker for a POP setup.

Very encouraged so far.

--
Lindsay Mathieson