Activities vs. virtual desktops

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Mon Apr 30 02:44:19 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Ryan Gauger <rtgkid at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think Activities are better than virtual desktops.
>
> Sent from my iPod

Not what I would call an answer to the OP's question but I guess it is
good to know that somebody likes them :)

The goal, I believe, in their creation, was to address those that have
sets of applications to perform specific jobs and the person has
multiple jobs. So if you are a photo editor and a book writer and an
accountant and a systems database administration when not writing php
code, activities may work for you. They let you Jekyll and Hyde your
different personae without one interfering with another; Each would be
represented by its own activity.

What I found was that I am not schizophrenic enough for them to be
very much use to me. I found that virtual desktops fit the way I work
much better. I like having all of my personae visible at all times
because I switch between them very often throughout the day. The
activities simply slowed me down because I would have to first switch
activities and then switch to the application I wanted to use. Using
virtual desktops I am able to simply go to the application right away.

They are both right and valuable but as with anything YMMV with either solution.

--
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both. --Benjamin Franklin