Unable to wake from Sleep (suspend to Ram)

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 01:19:38 UTC 2012

I'm running 12.04 but probably not 12.04 specific - I've been trying to get
sleep mode working for years with limited success. Basically I activate sleep
mode (suspend to RAM) and that seems to work ok, everything switches off
quickly. When I hit a key to wake up, the power light on the pc switches on,
the hard drive seems to spin up, but the screen remains blank. Switching to
console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) does not work. Power button off doesn't work.

Interestingly the reset button gives me a hung machine, I don't even see a
POST. I have to powercycle to get a boot back.

Depending on the combination of settings I try, sometimes I get 3 beeps from
the PC Speaker when attempting sleep.

I've tried:
- acpi_sleep=S3_bios
- acpi_sleep=S3_mode

Blacklisting intel_agp

Physically disconnecting my DVD drive - it seemed to be spinning up and down.

Uninstalling the NVidia driver and reverting to nouveau.

Switching to the Onboard Video (Intel i5 Gen2 - HD3000 I think).

System:
Intel i5 2500 (4 cores)
8 GB ram
Kubuntu 12.04 64 bit