Still too much CPU consumption - especially when using Kontact.

Bas Roufs - Nederlandstalige boodschap basroufs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 11:34:29 UTC 2012

Hallo Guus

Dank je wel, thank you very much, for your really useful and elaborate answer.
One question remains for now. At the very end of your reply, you write:

>  Now you have 1024 + 256 cycles: about 20% for all processes in this
>  tasks file. The tasks file is currently empty.>
>     All you have to do is copy 199001 to tasks (if that is the process
>     that is hogging the CPU): echo 19901 > tasks

When trying "echo 19901 >tasks", I got the following result:

root at Viaconsensus-travel:/cgroup/cpu/vreters# echo 19901 >tasks
bash: echo: write error: No such process

"echo 199001 >tasks" (with 1 zero more) delivered the same non-result.
That's why I am wondering how exactly to get to know which task is "hogging
the CPU".

>     From then on, you should have a more responsive system. ...
>     I really hope this helps.

After getting a reply to the one question above, I will try out the last part
of the solution you propose. In this  forum, I will briefly report the result.

>     You can find
>     out what is wrong with the process later.
This is perfectly OK.
Respectfully yours,
Bas.

--