Upgrade Trail

Steve Cookson it at sca-uk.com
Sun Apr 15 13:39:59 UTC 2012

Hi Bill,

I agree with the others here, upgrades are not good.

1) They are amazingly slow - my last attempt was over 24 hours!
2) After this long wait something has gone wrong.

But I can do a rebuild in 2-3 hours including backup and restore of data.
And it's largely unattended.

As someone else suggested, I keep a second disk, actually in the same
cabinet, and I do regular backups to it so that I can anyway restore easily
whatever happens.

I also have an install script (./install.sh). Part of which is shown in my
PS.  The full script is quite long, like 4 pages to print out.

But the whole thing is quite painless.

Regards

Steve.

PS - ./install.sh

#!/bin/bash

#
# Update sources for ubuntu apt repository to main repository.  Some local
respositories don't have everything
# (eg using kpackagekit, set server to 'main'
# Whie you're doing this manually intensive stuff, also configure cpan and
set prepend requirements to yes.
# I have backed up the ubunto apt repsitory to a stored file.  Thes two
lines take a backup and restore from stored version.
# cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.backup
# cp
/media/7ec5fbfe-19e4-4d78-9a7a-c38b1f1c61f9/installation/Install_Scripts/sou
rces.list /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update

apt-get -y autoremove
apt-get -y upgrade

#Development environment.
apt-get -y install subversion
apt-get -y install cvs
apt-get -y install g++
apt-get -y install gcc
#apt-get -y install python-wxglade
#apt-get -y install padre
apt-get -y install libgconf2-dev
apt-get -y install libgtk2.0-dev

#Perl environment
#apt-get -y install libwx-perl-processstream-perl
#apt-get -y install libwx-perl-dialog-perl
#apt-get -y install libwx-perl

#Video enviroment
apt-get -y install ffmpeg
apt-get -y install ffmpeg-doc