Calligra office suite: first impressions.

Bas Roufs - message in English basroufs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 13:52:08 UTC 2012

Hello Everybody

Via this mail I would like to give compliments to the developers  of the new
KDE office suite "Calligra". Today, I installed it in Kubuntu 11.10 via the
regular ppa backport repository. I really love it immediately! It looks like a
very adequate toolkit for creative and artistic word processing, sheet
calculations, presentations, etc.

Of course, there are still a few rough edges to deal with in the further
development of Calligra. When observing them, I will share them via this forum
- of course, in a constructive way.

Today, I have experimented a bit with the word processor as wel as with "Brain
Dump".

In the word procesor, I found two major points of attention so far.

I have looked for a possibility for export to .doc, .docx, pdf and other
formats. So far, I only found a way to export to PDF: File > export to PDF.
For the other formats, I have looked under FILE > save as and FILE > export. I
did not find it there. I will keep using LibreOffice next to Calligra until this
essential feature will be available.

In LibreOffice, there is a effective way to establish the
basic styles and formatting, like the default font: FORMAT > styles and
formatting (F11).  Is there something similar in Calligra?

With respect to "Braindump": is this meant for mind mapping? I am wondering
whether two closely interrelated mind mapping projects also could be
integrated somehow in the Calligra family:
"Freeplane" (http://freeplane.sourceforge.net);
"Docear", http://www.docear.org/
The combination of Freeplane, Docear, Braindump and all other Calligra
packages could create together a very powerful mind mapping, creativity
boosting tool box.

Finally, I am looking for a widget for the panel: for launching all the
Calligra applications. Another good option could be a widget for ALL the office
applications. Now, when copying the office typing machine symbol to the panel, I
get a duplicate of the K-launcher, however, with the typing machine symbol.

Here, my first reflection on Calligra finishes.
Respectfully yours,
Bas Roufs.
--
Bas G. Roufs MA