Partitioning question

Guus gbonnema at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 10 13:25:42 UTC 2012

On 10/04/12 14:55, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> I have for years kept Kubuntu and Windows on the same physical drive.
>
> Currently for a 64-bin install:
>
> /dev/sda1 (WinXP) 30GB (same is probably OK for Win7 if you have MS
> Office and 1-2 other similarly sized programs)
> /dev/sda2 (/home) 120GB (really whatever isn't used for the other 3
> partitions)
> /dev/sda3 (swap) 6GB (probably should be 8GB for 4GB RAM)
> /dev/sda4 (/) 10GB (might bump to 12GB if you want to install Gnome as
> well as KDE, but I've never been higher than ~75% use with KDE only +
> lots of stuff)
>
> This allows you to do a new install on /dev/sda4 in the future without
> disrupting /home.
> Paul

The thing to remember is to always keep the directories where you
install separate from your data, so you can install without fear for data.
Do remember to backup stuff, at least backup your configuration files in
/etc or elsewhere, scripts (cron!), logfiles, etc.
If you are going to change the partition layout, make sure you know or
have printed the current layout, so you dont overwrite essential files.

Another thing is to remember that in your home directory KDE uses a
hidden directory to store contact data etc. I once lost my contact file,
because I thought all those hidden directories were only configuration!

P.S. please dont top post.

Cannot help you there, that is your decision. Personally, I use Windows
only for games (think Wow, battlefield).

> I wonder if it would be possible to wipe the Kubuntu partition and
> re-install
> a virgin Kubuntu 12, but partially on the 120Gig SD drive, to get the
> faster
> boot up speed, if so I'd have to manually tell the installer what
> partitions
> go where and what size and I'm not sure what to do during the install.
> I'm
> happy to shrink the 120G partition with a partion manager prior to the
> install.

If you have a 120G disk, you could probably install all of / on that
disk. However, if you install /boot as a separate partition on your SD
drive, that should suffice for fast boot.

Be sure to have both / and /boot separate from your data.

If you already have linux installed, use Partition Manager or KDE
partition manager to change, add or delete partitions. I have done it a
lot, but I used gparted because I was using gnome at the time. It's not
particularly difficult, just make sure you have a restorable backup
before you start. Usually, having a backup makes sure nothing goes
wrong. Not having one is just asking for irreversible trouble.....

> Any basic pointers appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Richard

Kind regards, Guus Bonnema.