Upgrade to 12.04 beta and Python's UnicodeEncodeError

Loïc Grobol loic.grobol at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 09:58:41 UTC 2012

Hello, all
I faced something weird while trying to update to 12.04 beta

loic at loic-HP-ProBook-4330s:~$ kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/do-release-upgrade", line 77, in <module>
    print _("Checking for a new ubuntu release")
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in
position 1: ordinal not in range(128)

So it seems to be a trivial python error in the update script, I would
fix it but I don't want to break anything. So, has any of you faced
something like this? Do you think I should go ahead and fix it?

Cheers,
Loïc
--
Loïc Grobol.

M1 Mathématiques AMA. Faculté des sciences, Orléans La Source.
M1 Linguistique LAASTIC. Faculté de lettres, langues et sciences
humaines, Orléans La Source.