Problems with disconnecting USB drives

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 2 15:52:49 UTC 2011

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:15:24 -0400
Jeff Layton <laytonjb at att.net> wrote:

JL> Thanks for the idea! Now I just need to figure out how to power
JL> these devices externally :)

Some external devices have a power socket even if they don't come with
a brick. If neither has that then I guess there are a couple of
possibilities:
1) If you have another USB port on the machine, then run one of the
drives off that and connect whatever was in it (hopefully less power
hungry) to the hub.
2) (I'm not 100% sure if this will work) Some USB hubs have the option
of using external power, and a powered hub would be cheaper than a
powered disk if it came to that.

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |