Oneiric and laptop temperatures

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Sun Oct 23 09:21:02 UTC 2011

On 10/20/2011 08:46 AM, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Just did a fresh clean install on my Dell Inspiron 1525.
> I installed my favorite gkrellm and was surprised that it doesn't show any settings for
> temperatures. On all previous releases [of Kubuntu] it always did.
> A probable indication of something not right is that I tried installing a few widgets that
> monitor temperature settings and a couple of them failed to start with an error about a script
> failing to start. I did find a couple that did work though.
>
> Any ideas....?
>
> Nigel

Apparently the answer (if your gkrellm doesn't show any options for showing teperatures) is to
install lm-sensors and then run run sensors-detect:
sudo run sensors-detect
Answer a few questions and then (I had to reboot) go back to gkrellm and set up temperatures.

Just as a side note: the plasmoid (widget) Bubblemon did display temperatures before I installed
lm-sensors but I much prefer gkrellm as it give loads of information in a narrow (if you so
desire) window that doesn't take up much realestate.

Nigel