Request for advise and feedback before upgrading to Kubuntu 11.10

Bas G. Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 13:00:26 UTC 2011

Hello everybody

With interest, I am following the news about Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric. At the
Kubuntu website, a lot of very useful bug fixes and general improvements have
been mentioned. Hereby, I thank all those who have been working on them.
Before upgrading to 11.10, I would appreciate a bit of advise. In the thread
"Kubuntu 11.10 is out", I read the following:
> Upgraders should be aware of the transition to KMail 2 which does not
> correctly import your mail, instructions on how to do this manually are at
> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/OneiricOcelot/Final/Kubuntu/Kmail2
The instructions at that wiki page sound a bit complicated to me. I am
wondering whether a more simple approach is possible: for the upgrade as well
as for the import of mail and agenda afterwords.

With respect to the upgrade: I always do backup all my data at external
devices. That's why, I am considering to simply install "from scratch" 11.10
at the Linux partition of my laptop.I do like the improvements coming with
KMail2, but I fear the complications that could come with an upgrade to a new
Kontact configuration if I would do so via an upgrade from Kubuntu 11.04. In
general, recent installation sessions "from scratch" do result in a more
stable configuration compared to the results of recent "upgrades".

With respect to e-mail: my correspondence is also available online, in my
GMAIL account. In 11.04 as well as in a few preceding versions, I have
imported this e-mail as "disconnected IMAP", which I like very much. Is
"disconnected IMAP" also available in Kubuntu 11.10?

With respect to the agenda and tasks in Kontact: so far, I have been backing
up them by means of export to ".ics" files: via AGENDA > file > export >
iCalendar. After each upgrade, I simply imported such a ".ics" file, after
wich all the agenda items and tasks became visible again. Is a similar
approach possible after the installation of 11.10? Or is it better to make a
2nd backup in "Google Calendar" and to import from there after installing
11.10?

Finally, I need some advise with respect to the system language. I would
appreciate possibilities to flexibly change between languages:
* at the level of single applications, like Kontact, Libre Office, etc.;
* at the level of the whole system.
I need this language change possibility with a view to effectively
communicating on technical questions at forums like this one.

Changing a language of a single application is no problem any more thanks to
some improvements that have come with Kubuntu 11.04. But changing the system
langues is still complicated -though it is easy to adapt the system language
"under the hood", various buttons of the K-Menu keep showing their names in
the language of the original installation - even after changing the system
language. Is it possible to change the language of buttons like "system
settings", "account details", etc. when changing the overall system language?
Or is it better to keep the system language - in my case- British English,
while adapting the language of a single application when needed?

Thanks for your advise! Respectfully yours,
Bas Roufs.

--
====
Bas G. Roufs M.A.