problem with thunderbird attachments .doc-file association

Hugo Coolens coolens at kahosl.be
Wed Oct 5 19:23:48 UTC 2011

When I have an e-mail with a docx-document as an attachment, thunderbird
automatically opens LibreOffice when I click the attachment, when I have
however a doc-document I get a an error when clicking on the attachment,
like this:
/tmp/OPDOC24082005-1.doc could not be opened, because the associated
helper application does not exist. Change the association in your
preferences.

So I'd like to add the .doc file extension and have LibreOffice open it
too but I can't find out how to do it in Thunderbirds
Preferences-->Attachments.
I'm missing an add Content Type-possibility. Maybe someone here knows
which file I should change manually and how to add a rule for
.doc-documents?

regards,
hugo

p.s. 1 I'm using Kubuntu Natty Narwal
p.s. 2 When I right click on the attachment-document I don't get a drop
down box, so I can't choose an application that way neither