Firefox 3.6

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Mon Nov 14 20:12:29 UTC 2011

On 15/11/11 06:26, ray burke wrote:
>   Eberhard Roloff,
>
> so just type in a terminal "sudo /opt/firefox/firefox", and then that
> will auto update my firefox to
> current release?
Not specifically. That will run firefox as root, which will then allow
the update process you still need to select from the menus to actually
function. This method is required because /opt/firefox, in the above
scenario, is owned by root. An alternative to this is to change the
group ownership on /opt/firefox and all subdirectories and files from
root to some other group that exists, then add write privileges to the
group attributes for everything under the /opt/firefox tree, then add
the group to your userid, which will then give your id the necessary
privileges to then be able to run firefox without the requirement for
sudo to update firefox. This is the process I am using for firefox 8 in
another distribution.

regards,
Steve