Hidden panel icons

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Thu May 26 15:08:12 UTC 2011

On 05/26/2011 06:51 AM, Waleed Hamra wrote:
> On 26 May 2011 13:22, Neil Winchurst<barnaby at drofle.co.uk>  wrote:
>> Using KDE 4.6. On the panel there is a small icon to bring up a list of
>> hidden icons. Fine. I can add an icon to the panel from the menu easily
>> enough. However when I do that it appears as a normal icon on the panel.
>>
>> What I am wondering is how to add an icon from the menu to the hidden icons
>> panel. This would then mean that I would have to click on the hidden icons
>> arrow to see it as part of the hidden icons list. It would not show as part
>> of the normal panel.
>>
>> Hope I have made myself clear. Can anyone tell me how I add an icon from the
>> menu to the hidden icons panel instead of the normal viewable panel?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Neil
>>
> if i understand you correctly, you are talking about the little icons
> to the right side of the bottom panel (by default, location
> configurable of course). if that's the one, this is the system tray
> widget, which contains icons of running applications, and various
> system tray widgets inside it, like the weather forecast for example.
> to add widgets to it, make sure widgets are unlocked, then right click
> on the system tray, and click settings. i'm not at my computer now,
> but one of the tabs has a list of widgets to be added to the system
> tray, add whichever you want :)
> i removed the weather forecast few months ago when it was causing
> logout crashes... took me a while how to add it back, like you said, i
> kept adding it from the usual "add widgets" window, but that made it a
> regular big widget that doesnt fit in the system tray... a lot of
> googling (back then, yes a LOT was needed) till i found out that KDE
> now has this special window for system tray widgets.

Please ignore previous message.  After I escaped from the 3 message
stuff, I didn't notice I had a "configure" request down near the panel,
so I did that, and sure enough, I now have a little cloud icon at the
end of the panel after the digital time, and when I snap on that, I
get the local forecast for today and the coming week.  Great idea!
Thanx for pointing me in this direction!
--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley