Pulseaudio Comanded To, "Silence"

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Sun May 22 13:21:17 UTC 2011

On Sunday, May 22, 2011 04:15:07 AM Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Sonntag 22 Mai 2011, 06:39:29, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 22, 2011 12:12:10 AM Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > > To get the best performance out of your sound system, try this:
> > >
> > > sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
> > >
> > > Works for me every time. ;-)
> > >
> > > (Seriously, I don't have an answer for you. PA gives me nothing but
> > > grief, and I always remove it the instant it shows up in my system.)
> >
> > This is fine advice for Lucid since Kubuntu didn't ship pulseaudio.  In
> > Maverick we started doing this since it started getting some upstream
> > support in KDE (Kmix) and it, in my experience, works very well in Natty
> > for at least my uses.  In these later releases we should really focus on
> > identifying and fixing the problems that prevent pulseaudio from working
> > for some users.
>
> Out of curiosity, and because I haven't switched to Natty yet, are these
> bugs fixed?:
> - In Maverick, PA doesn't seem to be properly supported by xine, which
> leads to all kinds of crashes if I need to switch audio channels, and a
> rather nasty audio delay when pausing.
> - In every other app I tried, PA caused a slight audio delay that was
>   immediately gone upon its removal.
>
>   --Reinhold

I'm probably not the best person to answer these questions as when it comes to
audio I use whatever the system defaults are and am not an audiophile of any
kind.  With the standard Kubuntu applications (and Skype) I find audio in Natty
stable and functional.  It's the first time I can remember I didn't have to dig
through and unmute the microphone after install.  I don't recall any audio
related crashes.

Scott K